Thursday, August 15, 2013

Books That I Read Because People Hated Them

I think a lot of authors get terrified that everyone will hate their books and therefore no one new will read them because all they'll hear is negative recommendations, so I thought it might be fun to discuss books we've read because other people told us they were terrible.

Here's some of mine:

1. The Harry Potter Books - I grew up in a small town and there's quite a few people here who believe that the Harry Potter books teach witchcraft to children. I was lectured on it several times, hardly ever hearing anything positive about them, until I suddenly decided that I wanted to see for myself what they were all about and why everyone hated them.

I become hooked on them and read the whole series quickly. They've been one of my favorites ever since!

2. Fifty Shades of Grey - I'm not surprised to see a lot of people hating on any kind of popular book, but I wanted to see for myself why everyone was talking about it. I don't have anything against the genre erotica, although I know a lot of people see it as trashy. I wanted to know if people were bashing this book because erotica wasn't there thing or if it was poorly written. So I decided to read the book myself!

3. The Chronicles of Narnia - Some people told me that it was too religious. Other people told me they weren't religious enough. And still others thought the books were boring. I know a bunch of people had read the novels and I hadn't, so I wanted to see what I would think of them. I read them all quickly.

---

Books I Want To Read Because People Hate Them:

1. The Da Vinci Code - A lot of people are very offended by this book. It's not generally the type of book I would read, but because of the controversy, I am curious.

2. His Dark Materials - People say it's a type of anti-Chronicles of Narnia. I like authors who aren't afraid to express themselves and I'm wondering what direction he might have taken this. Not to mention that when someone tells me a book is bad to read, that makes it taboo. Which in turn makes me want to read it even more.

3. The Scarlet Letter - I grew-up knowing that there was something naughty about this book, although I didn't find out what it was until I was an adult. I still haven't read it, but it sounds interesting and controversial, which immediately draws me to it.

---

Surprisingly for me, I read the Twilight books before a bunch of people hated them, when there were no movies and Stephenie Meyer was still writing them. That's why they aren't on this list, but I'm sure a ton of people started to read them as well because everyone around them hated the stories.

Are there any books you decided to read because people around you told you they were terrible?

No comments: